Open Menu Close Menu Open Search Close Search
  • A working Smoke Alarm can save your life by providing you with an early warning of a fire. Change the battery when the smoke alarm signals a low battery (when it chirps, for example). Never remove the battery from the smoke alarm to use with another electrical appliance.
  • Carbon Monoxide detectors are required in all Massachusetts residential occupancies where the primary heating fuel is fossil fuel (fuel oil, natural gas, propane) and/or there are natural gas appliances, ie: stove/oven, hot water heater. If the building has an attached garage, a carbon monoxide detector is also required.
  • Have an exit strategy. Know two ways out of your home or apartment. Remember, the way you entered the building may not be the closest or safest way out.
  • Candles are the number one cause of fires in off campus student housing. Never leave a candle unattended.
  • Check trash cans and upholstery for smoldering fires.
  • Purchase Renter’s Insurance as it is inexpensive.
  • You may have only minutes to escape a fire in a building. Exit the building as quickly as possible.
  • Remember, you are responsible for your own safety.