SURVIVIOR’S RIGHTS GUARANTEE
Sexual assaults, including acquaintance rape, are a very serious concern of the University. If you are the survivor of a sexual assault or think you may have experienced sexual assault, the Tufts Police will guarantee you the following:
- We will meet with you privately, at a local place of your choice, to take a police incident report.
- We will not release, without your consent, your name to the public or to the press during the course of the investigation.
- Our officers will not prejudge you, and you will not be blamed for what occurred.
- We will treat you and your particular case with courtesy, sensitivity, dignity, understanding, and professionalism.
- If you feel more comfortable talking with a female or male officer, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- We will assist you in arranging for any hospital treatment or other medical needs, including transportation to a local hospital with a Rape Crisis Treatment Center.
- We will assist you in privately contacting counseling services, the development of a safety plan and advising you about other available/necessary resources.
- We will discuss the options available to you. We will investigate your case to the fullest extent possible. We will consult with the District Attorney’s office with regards to your case and advocate your wishes concerning charging and prosecuting of the responsible individual.
- We will continue to be available for you to answer questions, to explain the systems and processes involved (prosecutor, court, etc.) and, if you wish, to be a listening ear.
- We will treat your case seriously regardless of your or any suspect’s sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation and behavior, race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
If you are a sexual assault survivor, you may call the Tufts University Police at (617) 627-6911 to indicate that you want to file (privately) a sexual assault report. You may call anytime (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).
If you have an emergency or would like to access a city police department, call 911.
If we fail to achieve any part of the listed guarantee, a Deputy Chief (phone number 617-627-3030) will meet with you personally to address any problems/concerns. University Police want to help you make the Tufts campuses safe for students, faculty, staff and visitors.