Tufts University Police learned from the Medford Police department of an attempted armed robbery which occurred at the corner of Chester Avenue and Brookings Street in Medford at approximately 7:30 pm on September 18, 2013. The victim, a local resident approached the suspect believing he was in need of assistance and the suspect brandished a pocket knife at the victim and demanded the contents in his pockets. The victim shoved the suspect to the ground, then fled on his bicycle. The victim was not physically injured.
The victim described the suspect as a white male approximately 5’ 7” tall in his twenties, medium build, with brown hair, short facial hair and was wearing a grey sweatshirt and blue jeans.
* Be aware that suspects may use diversionary tactics to distract victims.
* Walk confidently and with purpose, always being aware of your surroundings.
* Walk with others. If you must travel alone at night, utilize the GoSafe service, which is available sunset to sunrise each day of the week by calling the Tufts Police at 617-627-3030 or x73030 from a campus phone.
* Report any suspicious person(s) or circumstances to the Tufts Police immediately at 617-627-6911 or x66911 from a campus phone, or call 9-1-1 for local police.
* Program the Tufts Police emergency telephone number into your cell phone so you will be prepared in an emergency: 617-627-6911
If you have any information regarding the above incident please contact the Tufts Police as soon as possible at 617-627-3030 or x73030 from a campus phone.