Tufts University Police were notified this afternoon of an attempted unarmed robbery that occurred just before 1:00 AM today, July 19, 2013, near campus on Walker Street in Somerville (see attached map). Three Tufts students were accosted on Walker Street as they passed by six suspects, all described by the students as white males 18-20 years old. The six males tried to bump into the three students as they passed. The six then started punching the three students after an exchange of words. Some of the suspects tried to take a wallet from one of the students. The six males fled in the direction of Powderhouse Square without taking any items from the students. One of the students stated that he suffered minor injuries during the altercation.
Also today Tufts Police learned of a similar incident that had occurred around 10:30 PM on Saturday, July 13, 2013, on Powderhouse Boulevard near Leonard Street (see attached map). A lone student stated that he was attacked by three suspects, described by the student as two white males and one black male, all in their early 20s. The three suspects reportedly forced the student to the ground, punched him, and removed his wallet from a pocket, before taking the cash and leaving the wallet behind. The suspects fled in an unknown direction.
Tufts Police and Somerville Police are working together to identify the persons responsible for these incidents and to prevent similar crimes.
* Be aware that the diversionary tactic of pushing is frequently used by criminals to distract victims
* Walk confidently and with purpose, always being aware of your surroundings.
* Walk with others. If you must travel alone at night, utilize the GoSafe service, which is available sunset to sunrise each day of the week by calling the Tufts Police at 617-627-3030 or x73030 from a campus phone.
* Report any suspicious person(s) or circumstances to the Tufts Police immediately at 617-627-6911 or x66911 from a campus phone, or call 9-1-1 for local police.
* Program the Tufts Police emergency telephone number into your cell phone so you will be prepared in an emergency: 617-627-6911
If you have any information regarding the above incidents please contact the Tufts Police as soon as possible at 617-627-3030 or x73030 from a campus phone.