On January 12, 2012, the Somerville Police Department notified Tufts University Police of an incident that occurred immediately adjacent to campus, on Conwell Avenue, which runs off of Curtis Street in Somerville.
The Somerville Police reported the following information: at approximately 8:33 pm on January 11, 2012, a female Tufts student stated that as she was walking on Conwell Avenue, she noticed movement behind her. Someone grabbed the backpack she was wearing, forcibly attempting to pull it from her shoulders. The student also reported observing the suspect with a stun gun. The student began to scream and the suspect fled, running toward Raymond Avenue.
The student described the suspect to Somerville Police as follows:
a black male in his early 20s, with a thin build, wearing a beige hooded nylon jacket, blue Docker pants and a black yarn hat.
• Be aware of your surroundings at all times and trust your instincts. If you think you are being followed, walk briskly away and call police, being able to give them your location.
• Report any suspicious person(s) or circumstances to the Tufts Police immediately at 617-627-6911 from off campus or a cell phone or 911 for local police. From a campus phone x-66911.
• Utilize the GoSafe service 24/7 by calling Tufts Police at (617) 627-3030 from off-campus or cell phone. From a campus phone X-73030.
• Program the Tufts Police into your cell phone so you will be prepared in an emergency (617-627-6911).
• If you have any information on the above incidents, please contact the Tufts Police as soon as possible at 617-627-3030 from off-campus or a cell phone. From a campus phone X-73030.