Reported armed robbery near the Boston Health Sciences campus, on Harrison Ave and Oak Street.
At approximately 7:59 PM on Friday, January 20, 2017 The Tufts University Police and the Boston Police responded to a report of an armed robbery at the intersection of Oak street and Harrison Avenue. The victim reported that two suspects wearing ski masks approached and demanded property. One of the males lifted up his shirt and showed a handgun in his waistband. The suspects took a black and white tote bag, IPhone, and a purse from the victim, who is non-Tufts affiliated. The suspects then fled on Oak Street towards Washington Street, away from the Tufts University Health Sciences campus. The victim was not physically injured. A search of the area was conducted by Tufts University Police and the Boston Police with negative results.
The first suspect was described by the victim as a black male wearing a red backpack and a ski mask. The second suspect was described by the victim as black male wearing a ski mask.
While victims of crime are never to blame for criminal activity, there are some precautions that can be taken:
- Remain alert and observant of the people around you. If you think someone is following you, move quickly toward an open store or restaurant. Don’t be afraid to call out for help.
- Walk with purpose, head up, no earbuds and don’t be distracted by devices.
- Stick to well-lit and well-travelled routes and walk with friends whenever possible.
- Utilize the SafeRide service. Members of the Boston Health Sciences campus can dial Tufts Police at (617) 636-6610 or from a campus phone dial X-66610.
- Program the Tufts Police number into your cell phone so you will be prepared in an emergency (617-627-6911).
- Report any suspicious persons or circumstances to Tufts Police immediately at 617-627-6911 or x66911 from an on-campus phone, or dial 911 for off campus emergencies.
Anyone with information related to these incidents is asked to call Boston Police detectives directly at (617) 343-4248. Community members wanting to assist in the investigation anonymously can do so by calling the CrimeStoppers Tip Line at 1(800)494-TIPS or by texting the word ‘TIP’ to CRIME (27463) or you can contact the Tufts Police at 617-636-6610 from off-campus or a cell phone. From a Health Sciences or Medford/Somerville campus phone, dial X-66610.