Dear members of the Tufts community:
At about 9:59 PM on Wednesday, January 4, 2017, a Tufts Dental student’s cell phone was taken from her while she was walking on Oak Street, between Washington St. and Harrison Ave in Boston. The suspect, travelling on a bicycle, approached the victim and removed the telephone from the victim’s hand. The subject fled east on Oak St. and turned right onto Harrison Ave heading south towards the Travelers Lot. No weapon was used or shown. The victim then notified the Tufts University and Boston Police Departments. An area search was conducted for the suspect to no avail. The victim was not physically injured.
The victim describes the suspect as follows: a male about 5 feet, 8 inches tall, a wearing a black hooded sweatshirt. The suspect was riding a black bike at the time of the theft.
While victims of crimes are never to blame for criminal activity, TUPD recommends the following risk reduction and safety precautions:
- Remain alert and observant of the people around you.
- If you think someone is following you, move quickly toward an open store or restaurant. Don’t be afraid to call out for help.
- Stick to well-lit and well-travelled routes and walk with friends whenever possible.
- Utilize the SafeRide service. Members of the Boston Health Sciences campus can dial Tufts Police at (617) 636-6610 or from a campus phone dial X-66610.
- Program the Tufts Police number into your cell phone so you will be prepared in an emergency (617-627-6911).
- Report any suspicious persons or circumstances to Tufts Police immediately at 617-627-6911 or x66911 from an on-campus phone, or dial 911 for off campus emergencies.
Anyone with any information is asked to call Boston detectives directly at (617) 343-4248. Community members wanting to assist in the investigation anonymously can do so by calling the CrimeStoppers Tip Line at 1(800)494-TIPS or by texting the word ‘TIP’ to CRIME (27463) or you can contact the Tufts Police as soon as possible at 617-636-6610 from off-campus or a cell phone. From the Boston Health Sciences or Medford/Somerville campus phone dial X-66610.