On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at approximately 5:40 a.m., the Tufts University Police received a call of a breaking and entering at a house on College Avenue in Somerville, MA. The resident, a Tufts student, awoke to find a male standing in their bedroom. The male suspect ran from the house out the front door on to College Avenue. Witnesses on the street stated that the male fled the area, driving a dark colored four door sedan. An area search for the suspect was conducted by Tufts University Police and Somerville Police. The suspect was not located. The incident is being investigated and police have increased patrols in the area.
The victim described the suspect as a White Male or Hispanic Male, college age, wearing a beige shirt, baseball hat, and gym shorts.
While victims of crime are never to blame for criminal activity, there are some precautions that can be taken:
- Always secure doors and windows.
- Make sure door, window, and screen locks are in working order and immediately address deficiencies.
- Turn on exterior lighting after dark.
- Be alert to your surroundings, reporting suspicious persons or circumstances to the Tufts Police immediately at 617-627-6911 or call 911 for off campus emergencies.
- Program the Tufts Police emergency telephone number into your cell phone so you will be prepared in an emergency 617-627-6911.
If you have any information regarding the above incident please contact the Somerville Police (911) or the Tufts Police as soon as possible at 617-627-6911.