The University is required to comply with the furniture fire code standards of the local city and the Massachusetts State Fire Prevention Regulations, 527 CMR 29:00, Upholstered Furniture, Molded Seating and Re-upholstered Furniture with regard to the use of furniture used inside any University building. Seating products subject to the standards include upholstered chairs, benches, couches, futons, banquettes, mattresses and solid plastic chairs. The standards are the California Bureau of Home Furnishings, Technical Bulletin 133 (1991) and Flammability Test Procedures for New Seating Furniture for Use in Public Occupancies (CAL 133). Any furniture used inside any University building must comply with the California Technical Bulletin 133 and the CAL TB 133 tag must be affixed to the item. In addition to new furniture, any used or donated furnishings that are intended to be used inside any University building must also comply with the CAL TB 133.
- Massachusetts Board of Fire Prevention Regulations, 527 CMR, Section 21:00, Decorations, Curtains, Draperies and Blinds and Other Window Treatments;
- Massachusetts Board of Fire Prevention Regulations, 527 CMR, Section 29:00, Upholstered Furniture, Molded Seating and Re-upholstered Furniture;
- NFPA Standard 101, Life Safety Code, Chapter 10, Interior Finish, Contents and Furnishings;
- NFPA Standard 701, Fire tests for Flame Propagation of textiles and Films;
- Boston Fire Department, Regulation of Upholstered Furniture;
- Boston Fire Department, Application for Installation of Upholstered Seating;
- Boston Fire Department, Decorations, Furnishings and Interior Finishes.
If the student intends to furnish his/her student room or University suite with any of the above mentioned articles, please ensure that they are CAL TB 133 compliant. Any furniture that is found by the fire inspector to be non-compliant will be posted with a Fire Safety Notice of Non-Compliance. The owner will have 48 hours to remove the article. The owner also will be informed by email of the non-compliant furniture and what assistance that may be available to comply with the standard.