In the event of a fire in a laboratory, follow these steps:
- Assist any person in immediate danger to safety, if it can be accomplished without risk to yourself.
- Immediately activate the building fire alarm system by pulling a manual fire alarm pull station. This will initiate the fire alarm horn/strobe warning devices to evacuate the building and will automatically notify the Tufts Police and the local fire department.
- If the fire is small, use a nearby fire extinguisher to control and extinguish the fire. DO NOT fight the fire if these conditions exist:
- The fire is too large or out-of-control.
- The atmosphere is toxic.
- If the first attempts to put out the fire do not succeed, evacuate the building immediately.
- Close doors, and if possible, windows, as you leave the room or lab.
- DO NOT wedge open lab doors. Lab doors will help to prevent heat, smoke and toxic gases from entering the egress corridors.
- Do not use elevators. Use building stairwells.
- When the fire alarm sounds, ALL personnel shall evacuate the building immediately.
- Upon evacuating the building, personnel shall move away from the building and assemble together.
- NO personnel will be allowed to re-enter the building without the permission of Tufts Police or the Fire Department.
- You must report ALL fires to Tufts Police.
The information above is available as a PDF here.