During the holiday season, Tufts Fire Safety would like to pass along a few reminders:
- No live holiday trees or wreaths are allowed inside or on porches or decks of any of the residential or academic buildings.
- Do not allow artificial trees to obstruct corridors, exit ways or other means of egress.
- Live wreaths may be hung on the outside of exterior doors.
- The only decorative lights allowed are low voltage lights that are UL-listed for inside use only. A maximum of 3 strings of lights per electrical outlet will be allowed. Outside lights are to be weatherproof and rated for outdoor use. No lights may be installed on all-metal artificial trees.
- When installing the decorative lights, do not tack or staple through the wire, or run wires under rugs or through door jambs. Check light cords for cracked sockets or frayed wires prior to installing them.
- Do not hang decorative lighting from the ceiling, sprinkler piping or in any of the hallways. Excessive decorations on interior doors are prohibited.
- Candles are not permitted in any building.
- Turn off all decorative lights when you leave the building. Do NOT leave lights on overnight.
The Tufts University Fire Safety Office wishes you a fire-safe and happy holiday season.