Certified Out of State?


TEMS actively seeks Tufts students who are certified in states other than Massachusetts. To be a responding member of TEMS you must possess a valid Massachusetts EMT-Basic or higher certification and American Heart Association or American Red Cross CPR certification appropriate for the professional rescuer. If you possess a valid out of state EMT certification you can petition the Massachusetts Department of Public Health Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS) to allow you to take the Massachusetts EMT exam. Contact TEMS for a copy of the reciprocity application. Call OEMS directly (617-284-8300) for questions regarding the reciprocity application. Visit the OEMS Basic Emergency Medical Technician Course Information page for more details about the Massachusetts EMT training curriculum.

To join TEMS you must complete a brief application. Upon receipt of the application the TEMS board will schedule an interview. There are also medical requirements for membership including documented evidence of a Tuberculosis PPD test within the last year, and documented evidence of a Hepatitis B vaccination or completion of a HepaVax declination/acceptance form.

TEMS members with an active petition for reciprocity are eligible to observe on shifts. Observers are scheduled as a third member of a duty crew and respond with the crew for the purposes of learning how TEMS operates and gaining limited experience in the field. Since observers are not Massachusetts EMTs they are not permitted to perform any EMT skills. Observers must have a current CPR certification appropriate to the professional rescuer.

For your convenience you can apply online. Once you have completed the online form you must print it and sign at the bottom of page two. Because of the need for a signature the form cannot be submitted electronically. As an alternative you can print the blank form and complete it by hand, or go the University Police station and request a blank TEMS application.