Newsletter Article – III, 1; March 2011: Laboratory Contamination and Infection of Laboratory Worker in Illinois With Cowpox Virus and Reducing Mercury Use and Disposal at Tufts

Newsletter Article – III, 1; March 2011: Laboratory Contamination and Infection of Laboratory Worker in Illinois With Cowpox Virus and Reducing Mercury Use and Disposal at Tufts

Laboratory Contamination and Infection of Laboratory Worker in Illinois With Cowpox Virus
In 2010 a student laboratory worker at the University of Illinois was infected with cowpox virus, a less virulent form of the smallpox virus. This is the first known case of infection in a laboratory worker in the United States according to a report by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention in Atlanta.

Reducing Mercury Use and Disposal at Tufts
The Tufts community is well aware that mercury as a metal and in chemical compounds is a poisonous heavy metal and its hazards need to be controlled and where feasible eliminated.

In Case You Haven’t ’Herd’: A Newsletter of Tufts Environmental Health and Safety
Volume III, Issue 1; March 2011
http://publicsafety.tufts.edu/ehs/files/March2011.VIII_.1-CowpoxVirus-ReducingHgUse.pdf